Before I started eating vegan I visited chinese restaurants almost every week. Beef and broccoli was one of my favorite items to order and I didn’t have to give it up after going vegan. I have a vegan stir-fry beef and broccoli recipe that I use with Gardein’s beefless tips replacing actual beef, and I honestly I feel it’s even better than the take out.
American Chinese Food
Beef and broccoli has a long history in the US as an American Chinese dish, which is style of chinese food that caters to the western world’s taste buds, this style of chinese food is different from what you would find in China.
There’s a very common belief that beef and broccoli is actual chinese food, food that’s regularly eaten by people in China. Fact of the matter is that beef and broccoli is not from china, it’s American Chinese food, which is food created by Chinese Americans and also include things like general tso’s chicken, sweet and sour pork, egg rolls and fortune cookies.
If you asked people living in china about beef and broccoli or egg rolls, most of them would not know what they are.
The original chinese dish was made with chinese broccoli aka “gai lan,” which is a long leafy vegetable and despite the name doesn’t look or taste like the broccoli we have in the western world.
You can find beef and broccoli on a lot of menus in chinese restaurants so it seems a lot of people like it. And since I’ve made this a couple of times before myself and felt it was quite good, I’ve decided to post my version of it on here.
I’m aware not everyone is lucky enough to live near stores that sell Gardein Beefless Tips or any other meat replacements, so if you don’t have those then you can substitute it with tempeh, tofu, mushrooms or lentils.
My version of beef and broccoli has some differences from what you get in chinese restaurants. Since I am vegan I have replaced the steak with beefless tips, as well I added in onions and green peppers cause I think it goes very well with the dish. I also reduced the quantity of oil to make it healthier, and I use vegan oyster sauce instead of real oyster sauce. If you don’t have vegan oyster sauce you can try to find hoisin sauce and use that instead.
Vegan Beef And Broccoli
- 2 Cups of Broccoli Florets (Frozen Is No Problem)
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped into cubes
- 1 tsp of vegetable or olive oil
- About 9 ounces of vegan beef substitute, such as Gardein’s Beefless Tips
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped up and diced
- 1/3 cup of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of vegan oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup of vegan stock, such as mushroom stock
- Cooked rice (served on rice)
1. Cook the broccoli and green peppers in the steamer or microwave for 2 minutes until it’s cooked halfway through
2. In a large pan on medium high heat put in the oil then throw in the garlic and onions, saute them for about 2 minutes or until they’re slightly browned
3. Put in the broccoli, peppers and vegan beef, then stir it around.
4. Add in the mushroom stock, soy sauce and vegan oyster sauce or hoisin sauce. Bring the liquid to a boil until the liquid reduces and the sauce thickens
5. Pour it over steamed white rice and enjoy
Check out this video tutorial:
I hope you give my version of beef and broccoli a try, and if you like it feel free to share this recipe with your friends on social media. Don’t forget to post your feedback and comments below!