I used to eat at McDonalds at least a couple of times every month, and I was a big eater…
A typical order for me would be at least 4 burgers, usually 2 junior chicken and 2 McDoubles, a small or medium fries, and a 10-piece chicken McNuggets. I know eating so much crap isn’t healthy, so I’d deliberately make myself throw up afterwards so my body didn’t have to digest all that poison. I don’t think that’s wasting it, I mean, I ate McCrap for the taste which I’d already enjoyed, not the nutritional values.
After I went vegan I was quite sad I couldn’t binge eat like that anymore at McDonalds. I looked at coupons mailed to my home and stared at it, wondering what I could eat, was there anything at McDonalds that’s vegan? The answer is yes. There are always vegan options at fast food restaurants, but they’re extremely limited.
McDonalds Vegan Menu Items
- Fries – You would think something as simple as potato french fries should be vegan, but no, they somehow have to put in some animal products. Well, in the USA anyway. American fries have hydrolyzed milk in them, and they’re fried in oil that has beef flavoring. Luckily for me cause I’m Canadian, our McDonalds fries don’t have that crap and are vegan.
- Hash browns – Like the fries, it’s vegan in Canada, they cook the fries and hash browns in the same fryer separate from all the other non-vegan fried stuff. Not sure about the US though, probably not vegan.
- Oatmeal – Oh it’s vegan alright, but who the hell goes to McDonalds for oatmeal? You can eat that at home
- Bagels – They’re vegan, just make sure you specify that they don’t slab on any butter. Ask for peanut butter and jam.
- Burger Buns – Look, if you’re desperate you can always ask for a burger with just the buns, lettuce, and tomatoes. No burger, no mayo, no cheese…no fun. Personally I wouldn’t pay $3 for a bun with ketchup and lettuce.
- Smoothies – Their fruit smoothies can be vegan if you order it without the yogurt. Rather than saying that you’re vegan, just say you’re allergic to dairy, this way the staff will take you more seriously.
Subway Vegan Menu Items
There’s really only 1 Subway sandwich that is vegan, and that is the Veggie Delite. But hey, better 1 than none.
I have ordered this more times than I can count. To get the most bang for your buck just say “everything” when they ask what ingredients you would like in your sandwich.
Obviously leave out the cheese. For the bread you’ll want to go with Italian, sourdough, or hearty Italian. For the dressing go with the deli brown mustard, vinegar, buffalo sauce, sweet onion, fat-free Italian dressing, or yellow mustard.
You can get a foot long in Canada for $6, so it’s not bad at all.