Potatoes are very nutritious, in fact it’s one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. I was surprised to learn that a lot of people didn’t know you can bake potatoes in the microwave. It sure can and it’s much quicker than the oven.
I make baked potatoes in the microwave all the time, I don’t know why but some of my friends think it’s unappetizing to eat microwaved potatoes. In my opinion they taste fine, not as good as out of the oven, but the difference is not too significant. If you microwave them properly they can retain a fluffy texture. But they’re easy to overcook, and if you’re not careful they can dry out really quick, especially the corners of sweet potatoes.
How to Make a Baked Potato in The Microwave
Step by Step Guide
1. First you get your potatoes and get them ready. Potatoes or sweet potatoes will cook at about the same rate, but make sure all your potatoes are roughly the same size to ensure that they cook evenly together. You can do 3 or 4 at a time if you want, sometimes I do up to 7-8.
2. Conventional potatoes are known to contain a lot of pesticides, and also they’re grown underground so you gotta make sure you wash them and scrub them real nice. For bigger potatoes you can stab them a few times with a fork to make the cooking more even, but for smaller to medium potatoes this is not necessary. After cleaning them, place them on a microwavable plate.
3. In this picture below I have 4 medium sweet yellow potatoes, I did about 3 minutes per potato. I have microwaved potatoes many times before and so I have a pretty good idea of knowing how much time to zap it for, you will too after you do it a few times.
How long to zap it for?
It depends on the power of your microwave, and so you should experiment with your own microwaving times.
Generally I would go for about 3 minutes for a medium sized potato or sweet potato. Don’t overcook it or it’ll dry up and get really hard and it’ll leave a disgusting bitter taste in your mouth. Stop your microwave and check on your potatoes once every few minutes would be a good idea.
When you’re boiling potatoes, it’s okay to overcook them (theres no such thing as overcooking boiled potatoes imo) but it’s very important you keep an eye on it when microwaving potatoes.
4. That’s it! take them out and cool them on the table for about 10 minutes before you eat them.
Some microwave baked potato meal ideas…
- I like to split them open in half and pour a can of vegan baked beans on top.
- Make what I like to call “potato boats.” All you do is cut them in half from top to bottom, scoop out the flesh and mash them with hummus or vegan butter in a bowl, then spoon them back in the skin. Top them with vegan bacon bits, green onions, and vegan cheese.