The Alkaline diet is all the craze these days. It’s been said that it’s one of the healthiest diets for you, and eating lots of alkaline foods is the best way to fight against chronic diseases and live longer. There are many benefits of eating alkaline foods.
What are Alkaline Foods? They’re foods that help your body become more alkaline as opposed to acidic. Basically it has to do with your body’s PH levels. Your body is constantly working very hard to maintain a balanced PH level, not too acidic and not too alkaline. The PH scale runs from 0 which is the most acidic to 14 which is the most alkaline, experts say that ideally your body should have a PH level of 7.35 to 7.4 which is considered slightly alkaline, because 7.0 would be neutral.
Some foods are very alkaline while others are very acidic.
Why Acidic Foods are Bad
When you eat too much acidic foods, your body becomes an acidic environment which is ideal for diseases and other health problems to occur. As your blood becomes very acidic, your body will take calcium from your bones which are more alkaline to neutralize this acidity. This is very bad because what happens if you take too much calcium out of the bones? Yeah they become weak. Osteoporosis could be a result of this.
Why Alkaline Foods are Good
In the Western world people are eating more animal products now than ever before. These foods are contributing to a lot of the major diet related diseases such as heart disease and cancer which are the biggest killers in the US. It is important to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables which are considered very alkaline in order to neutralize the acidity brought on by the meat heavy diets that Americans are used to eating. When your body is acidic, this environment is very welcoming for diseases to grow.
How to Make Your Body More Alkaline?
The answer is simple, eat more alkaline foods! Don’t know what foods are acidic and which foods are alkaline? As a general guideline animal foods like meat and eggs are very acidic, while fresh fruits and vegetables are alkaline. Here is a list of some common foods that are alkaline and acidic:
Common Acidic Foods (foods with PH levels 0-7)
- ALL meat are acidic! Beef, pork, chicken, fish, duck, moose, whatever. The best way to start eating a more alkaline diet is to cut out all meat and dairy, try a 7-day vegan challenge!
- Rice (both white and brown, white is slightly more acidic)
- Grain products like white bread, crackers, pastries
- Sodas and other sweetened pop drinks
Common Alkaline Foods (foods with PH levels 7-14)
- Legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas)
- Green herbs (wheat grass, alfalfa grass..etc)
Top 7 Benefits of eating alkaline foods
1. Making your body environment more alkaline means you’re not making it easy for diseases like cancer to thrive. Cancer doesn’t like an alkaline environment, it thrives in an acidic body, eat more alkaline foods and these diseases wouldn’t likely to exist.
2. Alkaline foods like fresh fruits, vegetables, and beans provide your body with important minerals like magnesium and potassium, these minerals decrease inflammation which can decrease pain for people who have problems with their head muscles and joints.
3. Do you have heart burn? No tums needed. Eating more alkaline foods can help settle your stomach. Heart burn occurs in a stomach that is acidic.
4. Healthy alkaline foods like fresh fruits and vegetables not only contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, but also antioxidants which are things that helps boost the immune system. When your immune system is functioning as it should, it will do it’s job properly which is to help fight off diseases and sickness.
5. Keeping your body in a slightly alkaline state can improve your heart health and reduce your chance of high blood pressure and stroke. This is because alkaline foods like fruits and veggies are anti inflammatory which reduces swelling in the body. This decreases the chances of clots forming in the heart and arteries.
7. Weight management is a big issue for a lot of Americans and other people in the western world, the cause is the heavy meat and dairy foods as the staple on many people’s dinner plates. These foods are low in fiber and high in fat. Alkaline foods like fruits and veggies are high in fiber and low in fat, in addition they come with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. An alkaline diet can help detox your body and release toxins stored deep in the body’s tissues. The fiber helps you feel fuller longer, helps you burn fat, and feel great.
Alkaline foods are greatly beneficial for the body. Even if you still eat meat, it’s important that you also eat lots of alkaline foods which always happen to be vegan foods such as fruits and vegetables which will help neutral the acidity in your body. When you body is less acidic, it is less likely to get sick.
There is a lot of evidence that vegans and vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters. Vegans tend to get less disease related diseases like heart attacks, strokes, cancers, and diabetes. This is very obvious due to the alkaline heavy foods in their diet. Fruits, vegetables, beans, herbs, and other plant foods are very alkaline and contribute to the healing of the body instead of destroying it. It helps your immune system, it provides you with a protective measure to the negative things that a diet heavy in animal products can cause.